Should you get a cortisone shot for low back pain? Many patients come to our alternative medicine clinic in... Read More ››
Top 10 Anti-inflammatory Foods For Pain Relief
Top 10 Anti-Inflammatory Foods
1. Grass Fed Beef – Surprised to see the top anti-inflammatory foods list? Contrary to popular opinion, not all red meat is bad. Red meat that has been pumped full of hormones and antibiotics and raised in unsanitary conditions is the menace. Free-range pasture-fed livestock contains a high amount of anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids. While not in as high a concentration as cold water fish such as salmon, livestock that grazes builds up a nice amount of omega-3 fatty acids as well as the nutritious phytonutrient compounds of the grass. Why did I put it at #1? Because I’m truly tired of the ‘conventional wisdom’ inaccurately categorizing this food as a villain.
2. Blueberries- They are packed with natural compounds that decrease inflammation. Several studies have also shown that blueberries may protect the brain from effects of aging. Highly nutritious, low-glycemic. Great frozen year-round.
3. Cherries - In April of 2006 in the Journal of nutrition did a study that showed that you can significantly reduce inflammation by eating cherries. One of the villains of ill-health and weight gain is insulin spiking meals, caused by high-glycemic foods. Cherries have a relatively low glycemic index.
4. Turmeric – Turmeric may just be the most potent natural anti-inflammatory known to man. Eat the root or use the spice as often as you can.
5. Ginger - Ginger is in the same family as turmeric, thus ginger has the same ability to effectively manage blood sugar. I love mixing ginger and turmeric!
5 More Anti-Inflammatory Foods
6. Broccoli – is shown in many studies to have anti-carcinogenic effects. It is loaded with vital nutrients to help the body deal with carcinogenic compounds.
*Cruciferous vegetables, in general, are very detoxifying to the body these include: Broccoli, Brussel sprouts, Kale and Cauliflower
7. Wild Alaskan Salmon – Wild caught Alaskan salmon is full of EPA and DHA these are two very potent omega-3 fatty acids that fight inflammation. Not only do these compounds decrease and manage inflammation, but they’re helpful in preventing heart disease, immune diseases, and brain health.
Other sources full of omega-3 include: Chili’s, Sardines, Mackerel, Herring and Anchovy’s
8. Garlic - Garlic has some health promoting effects that you would want to see in a premier anti-inflammatory foods list. The overall health benefits are very robust. It has anti-microbial, anti-bacterial and anti-viral factors and anti-carcingenic effects.
9. Green tea – If you could choose only two beverages to drink on a day-to-day basis, green tea and water would take you a long way towards reaching all of your health goals and to assist in helping you age gracefully.
My Anti-inflammatory Foods Tea
One large ginger root
4 turmeric roots
10 packets of organic green tea or a similar amount of loose leaf organic green tea.
One cinnamon stick
Peel and cut up the ginger and turmeric into half-inch cubes place in boiling water for five minutes. Then add cinnamon stick into the water during the boiling. Turn down the heat to simmer. As soon as the water stops boiling add 10 green tea packs or a similar amount of loose leaf Green tea. Let steep for two minutes then strain into a pitcher. You can enjoy this tea hot or cold. You can add lemon or a bit of organic raw unfiltered honey for taste. Another method I have been using for this anti-inflammatory food is to put the ginger and the turmeric roots into my Vitamix and just course pulse them up and then put it all in the water to to boil.
10. Kelp - Kelp is a type of sea algae that helps control inflammation it also has some anti-tumor effects as well as anti-oxidative effects. Usually widely available in Asian sections of good markets, good sources are wakame and kombu (put in salads).
Inflammation causes ill-health and premature aging- anti-inflammatory foods thwart that. Whether you have back pain or are over weight, learning to eat foods that fight inflammation can help you feel better and live longer. Our clinic helps patients in a lot of complimentary and alternative ways. A diet rich in anti-inflammatory foods is anti-aging, health promoting, and pain reducing.
Posted from Lakewood, Colorado, United States.